So what is the purpose of this article? It has been written to encourage you to do some research if you feel you aren’t happy in your current position as a designer. So how do you make money online? Well let me show you 5 different opportunities that you can take hold of and skyrocket your income.
1. Write articles or tutorials for design sitesThis is a popular one. A lot of design blogs reward their writers with commissions for each article that they contribute to the site. This fee can range from $50 to well over $500 depending on the content delivered. Articles and tutorials are wide spread all across the web and the one thing that distinguishes the lower ranked sites from the popular sites is quality. You need to deliver quality work and writing in order to receive good commissions. I know of some pretty wealthy freelancers that only write and contribute to publications. Don’t know where to start looking? Google: “Design blogs to write for”
2. Build WordPress ThemesNow a lot of designers and developers offer custom WordPress websites as part of their services and make a living off building sites for other people. Now why not step up your game and build a theme that you can sell as a product to thousands of people? Not sure that you could make money? Well some authors on the site Themeforest has made well over a Million Dollars in revenue from WordPress themes (Check out author stats here). Themeforest is the one marketplace that I am mentioning in this instance, but there are many more out there. Sign up and read the guidelines and get started.
3. Freelance from homeNow this is everyone’s dream. They wish to wake up any moment of the day and start working from home in their bath robes and slops. Sure a lot of people do it, heck that is where I started, but people have to realize that it ain’t a walk in the park. It takes some serious work, focus and dedication to make your freelance business work. Where you usually just focus on your tasks at hand, you now have to take care of Admin, filing, tax, clients, emails, work and much more. Not to even start talking about your social life. I have written a short guide in the past on starting your own freelance business from home.
4. Teach people your waysEver heard of Treehouse? Well Ryan Carson and the team did $3.2 Million last year and are aiming for a 300% increase in revenue this year. How? Well they teach people the skill sets that they want to learn. Anything from PHP, Photoshop, iOS apps, ruby on rails and more. They have members join at a fee and through that they gain access to different courses and features on the site. Treehouse is one of many websites that are setup to help people learn new skills. Remember that you don’t have to teach people coding, you can show them how to setup Photoshop documents, rasterize layers, add filters with image adjustments etc. It’s your choice what you want to teach them.
5. Build icon or user interface packsYes, there is money in helping designers do their jobs faster and more efficiently. With pre-made packs designers are able to complete their designs so much quicker as they don’t have to work from scratch. Any person will pay a fee to ease up his tasks in completing a project. This doesn’t matter whether it is for personal or commercial use. There are millions of icons available on the web, but putting together the right combination and outputting high quality, you will be sure to sell some of your products.
ConclusionOne of the most important things to do when looking to boost your income is market correctly. Call up some big shots and ask them whether or not they will give you an opportunity to write for them or to list some of your products that you have in your arsenal. The worst thing that could happen is them saying NO. You will never know until you haven’t tried for yourself.
Go out there and give it your best shot. Believe in yourself. You got this.